As I was lying in bed thinking—well, half thinking—that I need to keep up the series, my eyes welled up. For today, I am going through a major crash and have landed on #1 on the scale. All because I made one trip to Pondicherry City for shopping, yesterday.
But thankfully, I
remembered that I had installed a voice-to-text app on my phone a year ago, and
decided to try using it. And yay! It’s worked!
Thankfully, when
I am at my lowest number on the cognition scale, the one ability I retain is
being able to express myself through the spoken word. Sometimes in a rambling
fashion. Sometimes in well-articulated sentences. In fact, to get through this
phase, I sometimes request someone from my closest family to sit with me and
just listen as I ramble away without having to censor any of my thoughts.
Many autists in
severe burnout go mute, losing their ability to speak. But thankfully, I am not
one of them. In fact, the opposite happens to me. I can speak endlessly.
Chatter away. And somehow, I feel lighter. I’ll share my understanding of why
this happens to me in a later post. Now, back to my sharing about my #1 zone.
My head feels
tight and jammed—like a printer that has received ten print commands
simultaneously and doesn't have the ability to queue and sequence them.
If I can put
myself to sleep, that is the best way to cope and recover from this zone. The
challenge begins when I cannot put myself to sleep and have to stay awake.
I cannot read or
listen to music. Can’t sing or chant. I cannot have a conversation. Absolutely
cannot talk on the phone. All sound feels like an assault.
I can’t cook or
clean. Can’t take care of basic hygiene like bathing or brushing my teeth. I
have to pay a lot of attention even to understand when I need to use the
bathroom or drink water. My proprioceptive awareness is compromised.
I can’t do my
fabric weaving. Can’t watch my favourite series on Netflix. Can’t play my phone
puzzle games. Can’t exercise or step out of my room, even to my garden.
It’s not a
motivation problem. It’s that my brain cannot understand the micro-steps
involved in doing simple tasks. For instance, in weaving fabric (which I love
doing), it cannot figure out what fabric to pick up, where to put my finger,
what else I need to do. My brain feels like a computer that has hung—and the
reboot button won't work either. It is a frustrating place to be.
But thankfully,
my body has vague memories of the higher numbers on the scale. My memories are
all rolled up into a soft soothing small blurry blob in burnt sienna—the colour
of the earth I love to touch, smell and play with every day in my garden.
Hmmm…
And then I do the bhāvana of being a sick child on the Divine Mother’s lap. The Divine Mother in my life comes to me in different forms. The one who is closest to me is Mother Nature – Bhūmi (The Earth Goddess) and Araṇyāni (the Forest Goddess). I have learnt the Bhū Sūktam and Araṇyāni Sūktam, beautiful mantras from Rig Veda. Will talk about them some day. Perhaps record myself chanting them too!
I lie on the
Mother’s lap, asking for strength and support. To be held. I speak to her:
What is your
plan for me, Mother? What is your plan for the sensitive nervous system that
you have given me? Help me understand.
I know that
everything I am receiving in this life is from you. Except that I don’t always
understand all of it.
I perceive
some of it. Some of it is hidden. Some of it is disguised. So what is this gift
of the zone #1 about? What am I to do with it?
One thing I am
always shown by you, is the way to meaning.
I pray as I stay clung
to the soft soothing small blurry blob in burnt sienna. The colour of the earth
in Auroville I marvel at everyday.
And I am
privileged. I can’t be grateful enough for the privilege of time, of the financial
security that I am blessed with. Of the forest that surrounds me. Of my close
family that understands and acommodates me with my limitations and
unavailability in my different roles. And most importantly of all, of my ability
to remember to pray while in pain.
And just as I
touch this experience of gratitude, a door opens. A doorway to more light. With
gratitude, there is more joy. There is less pain. Well, actually, less
suffering of the pain.
There is more meaning. I still can't do any of the things I mentioned above. But somehow, now, I don't suffer as much. Maybe it is also because I expressed myself in these words here.
My life, with its many challenges, has been more livable ever since I discovered blogging. Writing heals me. More than simply being able to empty myself, it is the knowing that my story is being offered to the collective - for its learning and growth. Whether anyone reads it or not, I have offered the energy of the words to the collective.
And so I stay here, with my eyes closed. I pray to embrace all the hidden gifts of the #1 zone. To receive what it has to offer me. And, in time, to be able to rise above the scale.
Until then, the soft soothing small blurry blob in burnt sienna it is!
No comments:
Post a Comment